The LSP is responsible for the management of limited submission opportunities (LSOs). LSOs are extramural funding opportunities that either limit the number of applications UCSF may put forward to a given sponsor or require some other kind of internal coordination (e.g., to eliminate unnecessary duplication of instrument requests). The LSP is responsible for the dissemination, solicitation and selection of proposals for such limited submission funding opportunities at UCSF.
Opportunities noted in the table linked above are typically offered the same time each year. Please note that both availability and eligibility requirements noted are approximate, and subject to change.
Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation: The Moore Inventor Fellows Program
Click here for Cover Sheet
Internal Deadline: January 13th, 2017(10am)
Sponsor Nominee Deadline: February 8th, 2017
Sponsor Full Application Deadline: March 1st, 2017
HRSA Emergency Medical Services for Children Data Center
Click here for LOI
Internal Deadline: January 19th, 2017 (10am)
Sponsor Deadline: March 10th, 2017
1. LSP learns of LSOs in several ways: UCSF receives an invitation from a private foundation to submit nominees, a federal funding opportunity becomes available, the LSP receives direct notification of an LSO or an LSO is identified by the LSP.
2. The opportunity is announced to the campus via the LSP listserv and applications for an internal competition are invited. To subscribe to the LSP listserv, please visit https://listsrv.ucsf.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=LIMITED_SUBS and click "Subscribe." A list of all current LSOs as well as a table of typically recurring LSOs are maintained online (linked above).
3. All applications or internal LOIs are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am on the internal due date, unless stated otherwise in the announcement.
4. Pre-Application vs. Internal LOI process:
a. Pre-Applications are used when the LSP anticipates more than a single application
i. Under the direction of the Chair, the LSP Advisory Committee identifies a review committee comprised of former awardees and faculty with area-specific expertise.
ii. Each application is reviewed and scored by at least two reviewers. The application with the best score is selected and the nominee receives institutional approval.
b. Internal LOIs are used to gauge interest for any given LSO:
i. LSP Advisory Committee Chair reviews LOI and provides institutional approval for applicant to move forward with a full application.
ii. If multiple LOIs are received by the internal deadline, a full internal competition will be held, and applicants will be asked to submit a pre-application and then proceed with the workflow described above.
5. After institutional approval, nominees move forward with a full application to the sponsor:
a. For opportunities sponsored by private foundations, the LSP coordinates with UCSF's Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations to provide nominees with editorial support. Nominees are always notified if this support is available.
b. For all opportunities, the LSP notifies RMS of all internal nominees who have received institutional approval to move forward with the full application.
c. The LSP's involvement ends with results notification to all applicants. PIs should work with their department RMS teams and identify the date by which RMS will need the full application prior to the sponsor application due date.
The LSP resides in the Research Development Office (RDO) and is provided operational oversight by the RDO Director and guidance through a faculty Advisory Committee. Together they are charged with establishing policies and procedures. The members of the current Advisory Committee, sponsored by the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost, are:
- Danica Galonic Fujimori, Chair, PhD
- Sophie DuMont, PhD
- Hana El-Samad, PhD
- Michael Fischbach, PhD
- Bo Huang, PhD
- John Imboden, MD
- Marsha Michie, PhD
- Mark Moasser, MD
- Vineeta Singh, MD
Lisa Howard is the primary contact for general inquiries about the limited submission process. For more information contact via email (email@example.com) or phone (415.502.1662).