The T32 Trainee Tracking Program has been closed effective January 1, 2022.
Office of Research has provided updated guidance for T32 proposals, with assistance from several T32 program coordinators and faculty. Click here for more information on the T32 Program Administrators Group.
As you may know, NIH NOT-OD-19-108 requires the use of xTRACT to prepare data tables for Training Grant RPPRs. Data previously entered into the 3TS database is the same data required by xTRACT. xTRACT will generate tables once data entry is completed. Therefore, the 3TS program was closed and we are no longer entering data into the 3TS database. Access may be granted to view/download historical data in 3TS, if necessary. There are some remaining resources for preparation of T32 applications and can be found at Guides .
xTract (eXtramural Trainee Reporting And Career Tracking) is an application within eRA Commons, used to create program data tables for training grant renewals and progress reports. Beginning in 2020, programs are required to upload their program data to xTract.
Type of Grant
Renewal Due Dates
(T32 & TL1)
Institutional National Research Service Awards
Other Training Grants
To enable institutions to make National Research Service Awards to individuals selected by them for predoctoral and postdoctoral research training in specified shortage areas.
NIH Trainee Diversity Report Notice
- This automated report will be available effective Friday, October 30. As of that date, institutions receiving specified institutional research training grants, institutional career development awards and research education awards (see specified activity codes below) must submit the automated Trainee Diversity Report electronically with their RPPRs (annual, interim, and final). Please see the official notice NOT-OD-20-178 here.
- The automated diversity report can be generated from either the xTrain module or the RPPR module in the eRA Commons as a PDF.
- The electronically generated Trainee Diversity Report will be implemented through the RPPR submission process for institutional research training grants, institutional career development awards, and research education awards that require appointments through the xTrain system, including the following: T15, T32, T34, T35, T37, T42, T90, TL1, TU2, TL4, K12/KL2, R25, R38, R90, RL5, RL9. For K12/KL2, R25, KM1, and R90 awards NIH will require a manual upload*.
- The Trainee Diversity Report will be most accurate when trainees and other appointees complete their Personal Profile in eRA Commons.
- Demographic information in the Trainee Diversity Report is collected at an individual level through the Personal Profile but is reported as aggregate data. While “Do not wish to provide” is an available option for all users, it is important that trainees understand the value of accurately completing their demographic information for NIH’s goal of creating a diverse biomedical workforce.
- The eRA system will check whether the RPPRs for the specified grant types include an electronically generated Trainee Diversity Report. RPPRs lacking an electronically generated report will not be accepted.
- NIH Trainee Diversity Report Notice
- Video tutorial: https://youtu.be/NOsSjGCPxQU
- *Diversity Report pdf